26 June 2009

Strange.

Something strange happened at work today. One of my residents was looking out the office window for the bus, and I walked up to her with my arms out for a hug. Now, this lady loves hugs. Always, if I've had to do something to her that she doesn't like (trim her toenails, let the foot doctor power-tool her toenails, etc), if I just hug her when she's mad, she gets a smile on her face and all is forgiven. Today I hadn't done anything "mean" to her, so I expected a hug, an "oh honey", and a kiss on a cheek. I went in open-armed and super vulnerable for the hug and...she whacked me! And this wasn't a single-armed whack. She used both! Shocked but smiling, I backed off. There's one thing at work that I'm sure of--I can never be sure of anything! But I love what I do. Every day is a surprise...

No comments:

Post a Comment